I’m taking cheeseburgers to a new level of decadence with my Caramelized Onion Bacon Cheeseburger recipe! This is the ultimate burger, with crispy bacon, caramelized onions, homemade beef patties and brioche burger buns! It’s extra juicy, flavorful and so perfect for any summer barbecue! Plus, learn how to make my easy burger sauce! This sauce is a must for these caramelized onion cheeseburgers!
Caramelized Onion Bacon Cheeseburgers
The best bacon cheeseburger recipe with caramelized onion, loads of crispy bacon, cheese, tomato, lettuce, a creamy burger sauce and homemade beef patties!
For Beef Patties:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 ½ to 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp Roasted Garlic & Herb spice blend
For Burger Sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp pickle relish
- ¼ tsp EACH: garlic powder smoked paprika
For Caramelized Onion:
- 2 to 3 tbsp butter
- 1 extra-large sweet onion sliced
- ¾ cup chicken or beef broth
- 12 to 16 slices smoked bacon
- 1 to 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 head of leafy Romaine lettuce
- 1 sliced red onion optional
- 6 to 8 brioche buns
- 6 to 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Making the Beef Patties:
- Prepare the homemade beef patties first. This recipe will make 6 to 8 patties. Place the ground beef into a large mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper and the Roasted Garlic & Herb spice blend. Use your hands to gently mix the beef until it’s well seasoned. Using a kitchen scale, weigh out the beef into 5 to 7-ounce patties onto slips of parchment paper. Wrap the food scale with plastic wrap for easy clean up.
- To shape the patties, roll the ground beef loosely into a ball, then press into a 6-inch circle. I recommend using a round cookie cutter. Place the patties onto a baking sheet, then into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Preparing the Bacon:
- Meanwhile, prepare the bacon. Preheat the oven to 425F/218C and line a large baking sheet with foil, then top with a wire rack. Place the bacon single layer onto the rack. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your bacon, until it’s golden and crispy.
- For the caramelized onion, preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the sliced onion and fry it until it’s golden brown all over; this can take up to 10 minutes. Add the broth next, bring it to a simmer and let the broth reduce until almost completely evaporated. Once the onions are done, tilt the frying pan to one side and drain off the excess butter, then transfer the onions into a ramekin.
Preparing the Toppings:
- For the burger sauce, simply combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir together: mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish, smoked paprika and garlic.
- Prepare the remaining burger toppings. Wash and portion the lettuce into pieces that will fit well onto the burger buns. Slice the tomatoes; I recommend using large, beefy tomatoes. If desired, slice a red onion and set aside. Prepare some pickles or relish, if desired.
- Preheat your outdoor grill to 600F/315C and let it stay at that temperature for at least 5 minutes so that the grill grates get extra hot. Add the beef patties, spacing them out by a few inches on all sides. Grill the patties until they’re well charred, about 5 to 7 minutes. Do not flip them too early and do not press down on the patties!! Flip them when they’re nicely done, then continue to cook on the other side. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Commercially ground beef should be cooked to 160F/71C.
- Add the sliced cheese onto the patties once they’re done, close the lid and cook for about 30 to 45 seconds, until the cheese is melted. Also, toasted the brioche buns on the grill. Open the buns and toast both sides for best results.
Assembling the Cheeseburgers:
- To assemble the burgers, first spread some burger sauce on both halves of the brioche bun. Add several leaves of lettuce onto the bottom bun and top with sliced tomato. Season the tomato with salt, if desired. Next, spread some ketchup onto the bottom of the beef patty (the side without the cheese) and add that on top. Top the patty with 2 to 3 slices of bacon, splitting each slice in half. Add the caramelized onion on top and finish with the top bun. Enjoy!
Calories: 910kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 278mg | Sodium: 1676mg | Potassium: 639mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1472IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 297mg | Iron: 4mg