I have something extra cheesy and extra easy for you; I can’t wait to share it! I made this Skillet Lasagna for two because I was craving the flavors of lasagna, but didn’t want to heat up the house by boiling water for the noodles and then baking the dish for an hour. Enter one-skillet, one-pan-to-clean lasagna! I made this a white version of lasagne by making a white bechemel sauce.
If you love lasagna but don’t want to make a whole pan of it, you’ve got to try making it like this. This skillet lasagne has ground chicken, a cheesy white sauce, pockets of fresh ricotta, curly lasagna noodles, and fresh basil on top. You’re going to love it!
How to make white chicken lasagna in a skillet
While most lasagna is made with ground beef or sausage, this is a white lasagna made with ground chicken. You can absolutely use ground turkey, if you prefer. We start by browning it in a 10″ skillet, and then we’ll make our béchamel right in the same pan!
After the chicken is cooked, sprinkle flour over the top, followed by the milk and water. This is the liquid for cooking the broken lasagna noodles right in the pan! Once everything simmers and the noodles are tender, it’s time to stir in our cheeses. We’re using three kinds of cheese: mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan.
Just before serving, we’re sprinkling on fresh basil and some additional Parmesan Cheese. It’s almost unbelievable how much we can get the flavors of lasagna all in a skillet in just 30 minutes!
Skillet White Chicken Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 lasagna noodles broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 7 ounces Kerrygold Blarney Castle Cheese or other soft melting cheese
- fresh basil for serving
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Gather ingredients, and have a 10” skillet ready.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken to the skillet, breaking up the clumps with a wooden spoon while it cooks.
- When the chicken is almost done, add the diced onion, dried basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Then, sprinkle the flour evenly over the mixture, and cook for 1 minute while stirring constantly.
- Pour in the milk and water. Stir to combine.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles, and bring the mixture to a brisk simmer. Let cook, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, about 8-9 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Serve with fresh basil and additional Parmesan.
White Onion: One small onion is about 1/2 cup chopped.
Basil: Dried basil for cooking, and fresh basil for garnishing and serving.
Garlic: Use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder OR 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced.
Flour: All-purpose flour, please.
Whole Milk: Whole milk is best, but you can use 2%. Do not use dairy subsitutes for this recipe, as they do not do well when boiled.
Broken Lasagna Noodles; We need about 6 broken lasagna noodles.
Ricotta Cheese: Full-fat ricotta cheese is my preference, but you may use part-skim.
Mozzarella Cheese: Any white melting cheese is great here, and smoked mozzarella would be delicious, too!
Parmesan Cheese: Grated, for serving. Nutrition Information: YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 740 TOTAL FAT: 42g SATURATED FAT: 17g TRANS FAT: 1g UNSATURATED FAT: 21g CHOLESTEROL: 190mg SODIUM: 773mg CARBOHYDRATES: 40g FIBER: 2g SUGAR: 8g PROTEIN: 50g