This delectable and nourishing recipe is sure to impress both your family on a busy weeknight and a large gathering of potluck enthusiasts. Chicken Divan is a timeless dish that has remained a beloved staple in households for generations. Whether you choose to pair it with your preferred mix-ins or toppings, such as crispy French fried onions, or adhere to the recipe’s precise instructions, this dish never fails to please. The best part is that it is a foolproof entree that always turns out right, so there is no need to fret about whether or not your guests will relish it.
Broccoli Chicken Divan
- 4 chicken breasts about 2 pounds (or 3 cups cooked chicken), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil if using raw chicken breasts
- 1 ½-2 pounds broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 10 ½ ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can (or cream of chicken soup)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard powder, and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons Panko bread crumbs or buttery crackers (like Ritz crackers)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
1Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish (or a 3 quart casserole dish).
2If using raw chicken breasts, in a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high. Add the chicken pieces and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
3Meanwhile, place broccoli in a large pot boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes or just until tender crisp. Drain well and put in the bottom of the baking dish.
4Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings. Stir in chicken and spread on top of broccoli in baking or casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over the cheese.
6Bake 20-22 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned and the mixture is bubbly and hot.
7Serve over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, as desired.