I made these sloppy joes the other night when it was chilly and windy. They were super easy and quick. And check it out! >> I actually used the recommended green bell peppers, which you know I hate. But I sort of loved them. EEP!
Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes with a Philly Cheese Steak flair. Quick, easy, and delicious!
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- Preheat broiler.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and broth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add the onion and peppers; sauté 3 minutes until tender. Add in the beef and continue to cook, breaking it up and browning, for another 3 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Give the broth and cornstarch a quick stir and add it to the skillet; simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Scoop some mixture onto buns, top with 1/4 cup cheese, and stick under the broiler until melted-keep a close eye, so nothing burns! (Alternatively, you can simply add the cheese in with the meat mixture and stir until combined and melted.)
- Serve warm with chips and enjoy!