- 4 ounces bacon, diced (optional)
- 1 pound kielbasa/polish, sliced (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 potatoes (or celeriac root), diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
1Cook the bacon in a large sauce pot over medium- high heat until crispy and set aside before adding the sausage and cooking until lightly golden brown on both sides and setting aside.
2Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes before adding the garlic and paprika and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
3Add broth, sauerkraut, potatoes, quinoa, beans, bacon and sausage, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa and the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Omit bacon and sausage for vegetarian. Cook onions in 1 tablespoon oil.
Tip: Serve topped with sour cream, grainy mustard and rye bread!