- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 16 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth vegetable can also be used
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken such as rotisserie
- 8 oz. whole wheat fusilli or other noodles, such as egg noodles or fettuccini
1Cook pasta according to directions in heavily salted water until 1 minute BEFORE it’s al dente.
2Meanwhile, sauté the onions in the olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat until softened and starting to brown (about 3 minutes)
3Add the sliced mushrooms and 1/2 tsp. salt to the pot and sauté for a few minutes more until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms have developed a golden brown color, stirring infrequently (about 4 minutes).
4Add the all-purpose flour (2 tablespoons) and stir to coat each mushroom well, getting rid of as many chunks of flour as possible and cooking out the raw flour taste (about 1 minute).
5Add the chicken stock gradually and stir well, incorporating the flour as much as possible. Add the almost al dente pasta and 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Bring to a simmer to thicken and finish cooking the pasta, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes).
6Add the cooked chicken and Greek yogurt and heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve hot.
- Make it more flavorful: Add sherry or white wine to the cooked mushrooms before adding the flour to deglaze, stirring any browned bits as you go. You can also use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt for a richer taste.
- Be sure to heavily salt the pasta water- I usually add about two whole tablespoons of kosher salt to the cooking water when I make pasta of any kind!
- Make it vegetarian: leave the chicken out and make sure to use vegetable broth instead of chicken.