- 8 ounces farfalle pasta (or your favorite type)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts), cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning , more or less, to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste, if needed
- Fresh vegetables, if desired , (see note)
1Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
2In a large pot or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3Add the chicken pieces (and any desired vegetables*) and season with cajun seasoning. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
4Add the milk and cream cheese, stirring well until cream cheese has melted and sauce is smooth, 2-3 minutes.
5Stir in pasta, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
*Vegetables: I often like to add vegetables to the pasta that need to be used from my fridge. A more authentic cajun dish would include sliced bell peppers. Other good additions would be spinach, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini or mushrooms.
Otherwise this is the perfect pasta to serve with a side of Roasted vegetables.
For Healthier Cajun Chicken Pasta:
- Substitute whole grain pasta
- Add veggies: Add any vegetables you’d like to use up from your refrigerate including but not limited to, sliced bell peppers, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.
- Substitute olive oil for butter or cut the butter amount in half.
- Use low fat cream cheese
- Use skim milk
- Omit the parmesan cheese
Make Ahead Instructions: Prepare steps 2-4 of the recipe (make the creamy sauce with cooked vegetables and chicken).
Allow it to cool and store in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, cook noodles, reheat sauce and add pasta and cheese to sauce.